About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm; collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team comprises of experienced strategists, writers, media relations pros, designers, advertising experts, filmmakers and lobbyists. We call what we do Creative Advocacy. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying communications and government relations, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
Subject Matter is seeking a full-time technology director to help architect and manage interactive experiences. This role will be responsible for developing and communicating ideas and solving complex technical challenges. This position requires someone with knowledge of deployment strategies for complex CMS systems, understanding of object oriented programming, and familiarity with current state-of-the-art development techniques.
- Act as a technical subject matter expert, both within Subject Matter and with clients.
- Oversee technical project management for division projects.
- Build semantic, standards-compliant responsive WordPress and Drupal websites and custom plugins or modules.
- Define, document, and evolve best practices for development within WordPress, Drupal and static websites.
- Support DevOps, hosting infrastructure setup and website monitoring.
- Collaborate with Design and UX team members to prototype and design websites which meet clients’ goals.
- Participate in client meetings and presentations as the voice for technology on projects.
- Troubleshoot technical challenges.
- Provide training and mentoring for team members.
- At least eight years of experience with web development and content management systems.
- Demonstrate excellent mentorship, training, and management skills to help drive performance and teamwork.
- Knowledge of database architecture and management.
- Experience with WordPress and Drupal custom development and responsive theming.
- Experience with GITflow version control.
- Experience with task runners (Gulp), pre-processors (SASS) and dependency management systems (Composer, Bower or Browserfy).
- Experience with the command line interface.
- Experience with object-oriented programming.
- Experience with continuous deployment practices and local development.
- Experience with hosting (i.e. Pantheon, AWS and Rackspace).
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to thrive in a matrix, fast paced setting.
- Able to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously.
- Must have strong communications skills.
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter using the form below or by e-mail to Lauren Burton, Vice President of Technology at [email protected] and specify the job title (Technology Director) in the subject line of the e-mail. Please note that we are only accepting candidates who reside in the U.S.
Subject matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.