SVP, Client Leadership
Subject Matter is seeking a dynamic and strategic leader to oversee a growing account group and join our senior leadership team. This is a new position, created to provide an active account team the counsel of an experienced leader, daily direction, and strategic guidance. One of your first tasks will be to help reorganize the team and client assignment structure to improve overall effectiveness and improved firm-wide coordination.
This is a dream opportunity for an experienced and practiced communicator eager to lead a talented group of employees as well as build from the ground up. It requires excellent team building skills, the ability to teach and evaluate, strong client facing skills, and capacity to assess and guide the development of sound communications and marketing strategies.
In addition to overseeing the account leadership group, as a senior member of our team you will be part of the firm’s leadership and management group and assist in development of new business opportunities.
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted Creative Advocacy firm, and teamwork is integral to our success. We are comprised of advertising experts, digital specialists, experienced journalists, media relations pros, filmmakers and lobbyists. We represent a wide range of clients, including health advocacy and foundations, non-profits, trade associations, and corporations. Our clients tackle meaty and complex issues. We solve client problems creatively and fuel our work with substance and grit.
Our culture is fed by creativity, drive and collaboration, and we’re looking for a candidate who will thrive in this environment. If you’re most comfortable in a position that is laser-focused on one topic day in and day out, this job is not for you. However, if the thought of working on social impact on Monday, policy advocacy on Tuesday, and consumer brands on Wednesday is appealing, we’d like to hear from you.
As Senior Vice President for Client Leadership you will lead a 10-person (and growing) team of account directors, managers and coordinators, supervising their day-to-day work by providing oversight, guidance and input. As leader of the account leadership group you will be responsible for ensuring the agency is meeting client expectations and adhering to established budgets and timelines. As a member of the senior leadership you will offer counsel to the firm’s partners and officers, participate in business development and assist in setting company direction, process and policy.
- Organize and manage account leadership group, including 10 direct reports
- Drive growth in accounts by selling in new strategies, adding new client assignments and improving overall P&L of accounts
- Review, evaluate and improve account management practices and procedures
- Train and develop direct reports ensuring continued professional development
- Ensure successful start-up, development and completion of client engagements
- Coordinate workflow between agency departments
- Ensure we meet strategic client goals and driving results
- Participate in creative and strategy reviews
- Participate in new business development, assist in responding to RFPs and proposal development
- 15+ years of agency experience, including 6+ years of management experience
- Public relations and advertising experience is required. Client-side experience is a plus
- Excellent communication skills, including written, oral and presentation
- Experience in developing and managing advocacy communications, including integrated marketing and branding campaigns
- Demonstrate excellent mentorship, training and management skills to help drive performance and teamwork
- Knowledge and understanding of the national advocacy landscape and policy communications
- Demonstrated capacity for proactive problem solving and ability to manage complicated situations
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume by e-mail to Human Resources at [email protected] and specify the job title (SVP, Client Leadership) in the subject line of the e-mail.
At Subject Matter, we call what we do Creative Advocacy, our tailored blend of strategic communications, creative content & advertising, and government relations. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying a diverse set of skills, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
We’re an independent, 90-person firm headquartered in Washington, D.C. — small enough that our clients work with our founding partners and senior leadership, big enough to produce high-impact campaigns inhouse. Our full team comprises experienced lobbyists, journalists, advertising creatives, media relations pros, website designers and social media experts. We create and advocate. Learn more about us at www.teamsubjectmatter.com.
Subject Matter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Subject Matter is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Subject Matter are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender identity, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, age or any other status protected by the laws or regulations.