Senior Staff Accountant
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted agency comprising of advertising and design experts, experienced journalists, media relations pros, digital specialists, strategists, technologists, filmmakers and lobbyists. Together, we combine the boundless problem-solving skills of creativity with the pointed purpose of advocacy, we call it creative advocacy.
We are seeking a top-notch, highly professional Senior Staff Accountant who can bring strong organizational and leadership skills to our company.
You’ll work closely with all parts of our organization to ensure smooth internal operations and exceptional client service. You will be responsible for the financial close, financial reporting, revenue recognition, payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. You’ll develop best practices in terms of processes and procedures as well as in driving efficiencies. You will also help in building a finance function to support the growth of the Company.
This position reports to Controller and is part of a 4 member Finance team.
Financial Reporting and Management
- Being a member of a dynamic accounting team with a high standard of professional excellence, trust and productivity;
- Managing the period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter and year-end) including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, maintaining GL structure, and related tasks;
- Providing quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting to ensure compliance with GAAP, tax, and necessary regulatory reporting requirements;
- Ensuring the timely and accurate accounting treatment of all transactions under US GAAP, including day-to-day transactions and keep an adequate system of accounting records;
- Implementing industry standard best practices across new and existing workflows with a focus on optimization and the reduction of manual processes;
- Managing financial statement preparation inclusive of establishing and implementing effective controls over the accounting, close and reporting processes;
- Partnering with the Controller, CFO and other business leaders to ensure predictable and credible financial reporting and cash flow management;
- Collaborating with our Staff Accountant to manage all accounts payable functions including vendor invoice processing, vendor relations, and check preparation;
- Collaborating with our internal HR team to manage the accounting documentation of all payroll transactions;
- Supporting corporate tax compliance to ensure the accurate and timely completion of all government reporting and tax filings across all geographical areas in which the company operates;
- Supporting company through financial statement audit with Big 4 firm;
- Developing internal company policies and conducting regular audits to identify potential weaknesses and noncompliance situations
- Communicating with employees and making sure everyone is aware of what they need to do to comply with internal and external laws and regulations
- Ensuring business compliance regulations with GAAP, tax, audit, licensing, etc.
- Monitoring and controlling company credit card transactions via Concur;
- Monitoring the timely repayment of all short-term and long-term debt facilities;
- Maintaining daily cash flow reporting worksheets;
- Performing weekly bank account reconciliations;
- Assisting in the company’s property/casualty insurance policy renewals
- Other assignments as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (Preferred)
- 6+ years related experience; expert level accounting skills.
- High level of capability with Excel and automated accounting tools;
- Quickbooks Online experience (Preferred)
- Previous accounting experience in the professional services industry (Preferred)
- An independent, critical thinker;
- Strong attention to detail and exceptionally organized;
- Enthusiastic about designing and implementing systems and policies
- Self-starter with exceptional prioritization skills
- Exceptional communication skills (both oral and written)
Subject Matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.