Position Type: Freelancer/Contractor
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted agency comprised of advertising and design experts, experienced journalists, media relations pros, digital specialists, strategists, technologists, filmmakers, and lobbyists. Together, we combine the boundless problem-solving skills of creativity with the pointed purpose of advocacy, we call it creative advocacy.
Our Creative Team is looking for an Experience Designer who turns imagination into impact. You’ll work to help shape and deliver beautiful digital experiences, websites, design processes, standards, dashboards, and toolkits. We’re looking for someone who is driven to create great work, and more importantly, get it made. This role requires graphic design skills and strategic acumen, and your portfolio should demonstrate excellent performance on both levels. You think in design systems, with an eye on delivery, as a collaborator and communicator. So, if you’re passionate about making technology and data intuitive and meaningful through user research, information architecture, prototyping, and design on behalf of our diverse roster of clients, we can’t wait to talk to you.
- Collaborate and partner with Associate Creative Director, Digital Design, Art Directors, Designers, Copywriters, and technologists to concept and execute persuasive and engaging digital experiences and provide insightful solutions
- Map and visualize ideas for customer journey maps, wireframes, user flow diagrams, prototypes, and other interactive designs, while championing consistency and flexibility
- Present and discuss the work with clarity and confidence, both internally and with clients
- Facilitate and iterate on digital creative projects (e.g., websites, digital experiences, apps, dashboards)
- Guide internal and external discovery sessions to create meaningful experience design through effective information architecture and content modeling
- Apply experience and knowledge to follow (and break!) established interaction patterns
- Identify user behaviors through contextual research and usability studies
- Create, maintain, expand, and scale design systems
- Apply experience in information hierarchy to content-rich websites and platforms
- Drive collaboration and co-creation across multiple business areas to deliver experience concepts that are desirable to the customer, feasible for the organization, and viable for the business
- Participate in the pricing, estimation, and new business process
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into day-to-day activities
- 3+ years of experience designing responsive web apps, websites and design systems
- 3+ years of UX/UI design experience
- 3+ years of experience using Adobe Creative Cloud products (specifically, XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) for prototyping and design
- Deep understanding of product design, information hierarchy, cross-browser compatibility, user-flows, composition, layout, color, and typography
- Experience in the design and documentation of complex interfaces with a thorough understanding of modern web technologies
- Expertise in modern visual and interactive product design
- Understanding of WCAG, 508, and ADA accessibility standards
- Understanding of information architecture
- Familiar with web and mobile technologies such that you can communicate with engineers
- Highly creative, organized, and detail-oriented
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and able to present to small and large groups of people internally and with our clients
- Online portfolio demonstrating broad skills, versatile aesthetic, high-end customer facing experiences, with expertise in design principles, thinking, and usability
This position is contract with potential for full time. To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and online portfolio website by e-mail to Kevin Richards, Chief Creative Officer at [email protected] and Paul Wind, Associate Creative Director, Digital Design at [email protected] and specify the job title (Experience Designer) in the subject line of the e-mail.
Subject Matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.