Associate, Strategic Communications
About Subject Matter
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm; collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team comprises experienced strategists, writers, media relations pros, designers, advertising experts, filmmakers and lobbyists. We call what we do Creative Advocacy. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying communications and government relations, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
We are seeking an experienced, full-time Associate to join the Strategic Communications team. You will be a part of a small but growing team engaged in day-to-day communications activities, including drafting outreach materials, engaging reporters, surfacing media trends and opportunities, staffing events and briefings and more. This role will be responsible for assisting the team in driving execution for a diverse range of firm clients while forging strong, collaborative relationships with media, clients, colleagues, and external stakeholders. The challenge of this role is turning rich topic areas into strategic communications opportunities and then execute on them.
- Build relationships with key media and proactively engage in media relations to secure placements
- Draft communications plans and approaches to support client campaigns, initiatives, and strategic objectives
- Collaborate with internal team and clients to develop and implement strategic communications campaigns
- Develop a strategic understanding of clients’ businesses, target markets, influencers, and competition
- Translate requests, broad campaign concepts, strategies or plans into meaningful, actionable approaches and activities
- Contribute to measurable results (e.g., story placements or reporter attendance at a briefing) from the strategic communications team that help to achieve client goals
- Share emerging trends and opportunities for improved communications execution
- Work alongside government relations and communications team members
- Serve as external spokesperson for clients, as needed
- Minimum of three years of strategic communications, advocacy campaign, policy communications or issues management experience
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic communications, public affairs, media relations and familiarity with evolving communications methods
- Familiarity with political and influencer landscape inside and outside the Beltway
- Excellent written, verbal and in-person communications skills
- Critical thinker with exceptional analytical capabilities
- Able to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products
- Ability to thrive in a matrixed, fast-paced setting
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Agency experience strongly preferred
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to [email protected] and specify the job title (Associate, Strategic Communications) in the subject line of the e-mail.
Subject Matter is an equal opportunity employer that encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.