Subject Matter is a Creative Advocacy agency with 80+ people working in Advertising and Creative Content, Strategic Communications and Government Relations. Our clients include industry trade associations, advocacy groups and major consumer bands. We believe in substance and the art of persuasion, and we like to work with good people who do great work.
Our development team is small but our ideas are big. We are problem solvers, explorers and innovators looking to answer client challenges in new ways. We’re based in Washington D.C., and just moved into all new office space with plenty of room to grow. Join us.
Subject Matter is seeking a full-time web developer to help build great interactive experiences. This position requires someone capable of open-source CMS development with a passion for front-end and animation. Collaborating with cross-functional teams, this role will also conceive and communicate ideas for digital projects. This position will require a background check.
- Use open-source frameworks to build state-of-the-art technologies.
- Build semantic, standards-compliant responsive WordPress and/or Drupal websites.
- Perform prototyping; database development and data modeling; data processing via RESTful Web services.
- Analyze and debug client systems.
- Research, advocate and promote new technologies and best practices which can benefit both the Digital team and the agency as a whole.
- Evaluate designs and wireframes for development and potential issues.
- Participate in meetings to bring technical expertise to project teams. Collaborate with Design and UX team members to prototype and design software which meets clients’ goals.
- 3-6+ years of experience with web development and content management systems. Experience in a high-pace agency environment preferred.
- Experience with WordPress/Drupal custom development and responsive theming.
- Quick to learn new technologies, and flexible to changing circumstances.
- Knowledge of database architecture and management.
- Experience with GIT version control, gitFlow is a plus.
- Experience with task runners (Gulp), pre-processors (SASS) and dependency management systems (Composer/NMP).
- Experience with the command line interface.
- An eye for design and ability to collaborate with strategists and creatives to produce best-in-class websites.
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter below with the job title in the Comments section. No phone calls, please. EOE.
Subject Matter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Subject Matter is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Subject Matter are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender identity, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, age or any other status protected by the laws or regulations.