Social Media Strategist
SUBJECT MATTER is seeking a full-time Social Media Strategist to develop thoughtful strategy and compelling content for a diverse range of clients. The ideal candidate will be working within the Content Team and should be a polished writer with deep knowledge of the social media landscape. This person should be highly motivated and able to work cross-functionally to build comprehensive and innovative digital strategies into 360 campaign solutions for clients. The Social Media Strategist also will work to expand the Content Team’s digital capabilities and repertoire within the areas of display and mobile advertising, sponsored content placements and distribution on emerging or niche digital platforms.
The Social Media Strategist will be responsible for executing digital and social project timelines in collaboration with the Content Directors. The ideal candidate will come to us with an insatiable curiosity and an equal drive toward building the business of our social media services. This person will be able to identify a client’s needs and develop the plan to meet or exceed them.
The culture at Subject Matter is fed by creativity, depth, energy and speed. If you’re comfortable in a position that is laser-focused on one topic day in and day out, this job is not for you. However, if the thought of working in the realm of health care on Monday, railroads on Tuesday, and Capitol Hill policy on Wednesday appeals to you, we should talk. Our clients’ subject matter is often meaty, complex and could affectionately be called wonky. We like it that way, and you should too. The challenge is turning these rich topic areas into actionable content that finds its way to the intended audience. In partnership with the Director of Social Strategy, the Social Media Strategist will find innovative ways to marry our content with the right social executions.
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm, and collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team is comprised of experienced writers, advertising experts, media relations pros, website designers, filmmakers, lobbyists — even a certified data scientist. The Social Media Strategist will work directly with this diverse roster — both within our Content division and among our other core practice areas, including Creative, Interactive, Media and Video. This person also will work closely with agency partners in developing strategy that serves clients and advances their issues. The job requires professionalism, polish and the ability to forge strong, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues. This person will be integral to our Social team.
Applicants must have:
• Strong skills in social media planning, writing and strategizing
• Expertise in digital tools and applications (e.g. social media sites, digital ad platforms, apps)
• Impressive analytical ability, experience with social listening software, SEO and CRM tools
• Proven capability to develop and execute effective digital strategies
• The skills of a problem-solver, with a record of internal and external successes
• Background in campaign strategy and targeted digital communication
• High digital literacy and a deep understanding of digital media
• Three-plus years of full‐time, professional experience, with the bulk of that work being in digital and social media strategy and content creation
• Strong organizational and time management skills — ability to set priorities, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work setting
• Bachelor’s degree
• Execute digital and social media strategy development and related tactical projects (social editorial planning, paid campaigns, final reporting, budgeting)
• Collaborate with internal Subject Matter teams to produce a cohesive, comprehensive strategy and final product for clients
• Ensure that communication with clients — whether memos, proposals, RFPs, reports — is strategic, clear, inspiring and respectful
• Generate and encourage innovative ideas and solutions for external and internal projects
• Identify new opportunities for sponsored content opportunities and campaigns backed by data-driven insights
• Collaborate with Content Directors on content distribution strategies
• Ensure social and digital best practices are met to achieve clients’ goals and preferences
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter below and specify the job title (Social Media Strategist) in the Comments section. No phone calls, please. EOE.