Senior Writer / Editor
SUBJECT MATTER is seeking a full-time Senior Writer/Editor to develop thoughtful strategy and compelling content for a diverse range of clients. This is a senior position, and as such it demands keen thinking and precise and polished editing. You should be a person who regularly lifts the work of those around you. The ideal candidate will come to us with a strategic mind and an insatiable curiosity to learn about new subjects. This person will be able to take a group’s brainstorm and distill it into a one-page strategy document. Our Senior Writer/Editor will have a reporter’s knack for asking great questions as well as an editor’s skill at discerning what matters and what should be left on the cutting room floor.
The culture at Subject Matter is fed by creativity, depth, energy and speed, and we’re looking for someone who will thrive in this environment. If you’re comfortable in a position that is laser-focused on one topic day in and day out, this job is not for you. However, if the thought of writing about health care on Monday, railroads on Tuesday, and Capitol Hill policy on Wednesday appeals to you, we should talk. Our clients’ subject matter is often meaty, complex and could affectionately be called wonky. We like it that way, and you should too. The challenge is turning these rich topic areas into actionable content — and that begins with strong reporting, strategic thinking and exceptional storytelling.
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm, and collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team is comprised of experienced writers, advertising experts, media relations pros, website designers, filmmakers and lobbyists. The Senior Writer/Editor will work directly with this diverse roster — both within our Content division and among our other core practice areas, including Creative, Interactive, Media, Digital, Strategic Communications and Video. The job requires professionalism, polish and a keen sensibility about forging strong, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues.
Applicants must have:
• Strong editorial planning, writing, reporting and editing skills
• Deep interest in issue-based content creation and strategic communication
• Background in campaign strategy and targeted digital communication
• High digital literacy and an understanding of digital media
• Previous, demonstrable experience conceiving, creating and executing high-impact, polished content
• Five-plus years of full‐time, professional experience, with the bulk of that work being in content creation and communications strategy
• Conceptualize, write and edit a range of original content and strategy documents for clients.
• Manage digital communications and content projects
• Develop content strategy, including crafting editorial calendars and managing content development
• Provide editorial direction on projects across Subject Matter divisions and teams, including articles, online tools, websites, infographics, video and multimedia content
• Provide research, writing and editing support for a range of company initiatives
Additional Desired Skills:
• Working knowledge of the transportation industry, including expertise in airlines, freight rail and the nation’s highway infrastructure.
• Contacts at news media and non-media, issue-focused organizations, as well as a thorough understanding of the media landscape (emerging, current and traditional)
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills — ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and manage working relationships diplomatically
• Strong organizational and time management skills — ability to set priorities, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work setting
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter below AND by email to John Siniff, Senior Vice President (firstname.lastname@example.org) and specify the job title (Senior Writer/Editor) in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.