Senior Media Specialist
Subject Matter is seeking a full-time senior media specialist to implement traditional media relations strategies for multiple client accounts, with a primary focus on broadcast and print media. We are looking for a high-energy, articulate and fearless pitcher who can work directly with television, radio and print news reporters and producers to communicate client messaging, securing coverage and book live television and radio interviews. Successful applicants must have a top-notch phone presence and be able to communicate clearly and authoritatively.
The senior media specialist will be a member of our Media Division and will collaborate closely with senior and junior members of our team, as well as across all divisions. Team members in this role are responsible for executing communications and outreach projects for a wide range of clients, including foundations, non-profits, issue advocacy groups, public-private partnerships, government, industry associations and consumer brands.
This is a mid-level position for a hard-charging, ambitious communications professional.
- Implement and execute traditional media strategies, primarily booking satellite and radio media tours but also engaging print and digital media outlets.
- Conduct targeted outreach — primarily by phone — to journalists and producers at local, statewide, regional and national news outlets.
- Write media alerts based on client messaging and informed by a thorough understanding of media interests in national and local markets.
- Book and produce broadcast media tours (television, radio and online), with some travel as needed.
- Serve as direct point of contact for clients, including day-to-day account management but also responsible for the strategy and growth of the client-firm relationship.
- Counsel clients on media strategy given their specific communication goals for each project; help them identify and clarify goals, taking current news environment into account.
- Collaborate with internal Subject Matter teams to produce a cohesive, comprehensive communication strategy for clients that includes earned media placement.
- Proactively identify opportunities for clients to jump into a news cycle or cultural. conversation and the most viable method, message, outlet and spokesperson for each opportunity; this requires a deep understanding of clients, their subject matter and the news environment.
- Contribute — as needed — to other company initiatives including possible pro bono work.
Applicants Should Have:
- A proven track record connecting with reporters and editors in a variety of ways and successfully pitching them, including national and local broadcast outlets, traditional newspapers and magazines, digital magazines and news sites, digital newsletters and blogs.
- A keen eye for news opportunities and a thorough understanding of the media landscape (television, radio, online and print).
- Top-notch phone presence and comfort discussing a wide range of topics.
- Expertise in tracking media outcomes.
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing ability.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills — ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and manage working relationships diplomatically.
- Solid organizational and time management skills —ability to set priorities, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work setting.
- Spanish fluency is not required, but greatly desired.
- Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field.
- 5+ years of full-time professional experience, with the bulk of that work being media relations, ideally in an agency setting.
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to Joy Burks, VP, Media at email@example.com and specify the job title (Senior Media Specialist) in the subject line of the e-mail.
At Subject Matter, we call what we do Creative Advocacy, our tailored blend of strategic communications, creative content & advertising and government relations. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying communications and government relations, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
We’re an independent, 80-person firm headquartered in Washington, D.C. — small enough that our clients work with our founding partners and senior leadership, big enough to produce high-impact campaigns in-house. Our full team comprises experienced lobbyists, writers, advertising creatives, media relations pros, website designers and social media experts. We create and advocate. Learn more about us at www.teamsubjectmatter.com.
Subject Matter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Subject Matter is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Subject Matter are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender identity, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, age or any other status protected by the laws or regulations.