Senior Media Specialist
Subject Matter is seeking a full-time Senior Media Specialist to implement traditional media relations strategies for multiple client accounts, with a primary focus on broadcast and print media. We are looking for a high-energy, articulate and fearless pitcher who can work directly with television, radio and print news reporters and producers to communicate client messaging, securing coverage and book live television and radio interviews. Successful applicants must have a top-notch phone presence and be able to communicate clearly and authoritatively.
The senior media specialist will be a member of our Media Division and will collaborate closely with senior and junior members of our team, as well as across all divisions. Team members in this role are responsible for executing communications and outreach projects for a wide range of clients, including foundations, non-profits, issue advocacy groups, public-private partnerships, government, industry associations and corporations.
This is a mid-level position for a hard-charging, ambitious communications professional.
• Implement and execute traditional media strategies, primarily booking satellite and radio media tours but also engaging print and digital media outlets
• Conduct targeted outreach — primarily by phone — to journalists and producers at local, statewide, regional and national news outlets
• Write media alerts based on client messaging and informed by a thorough understanding of media interests in national and local markets
• Book and produce broadcast media tours (television, radio and online), with some travel as needed
• Serve as direct point of contact for clients, including day-to-day account management but also responsible for the strategy and growth of the client-firm relationship
• Counsel clients on media strategy given their specific communication goals for each project; help them identify and clarify goals, taking current news environment into account
• Collaborate with internal Subject Matter teams to produce a cohesive, comprehensive communication strategy for clients that includes earned media placement
• Proactively identify opportunities for clients to jump into a news cycle or cultural conversation and the most viable method, message, outlet and spokesperson for each opportunity; this requires a deep understanding of clients, their subject matter and the news environment
• Contribute — as needed — to other company initiatives including possible pro bono work
• High-energy, fearless and articulate
• Top-notch phone presence and comfort discussing a wide range of topics
• Strong contacts at a variety of media outlets, including traditional newspapers and magazines, digital magazines and news sites, digital newsletters, blogs, national and local broadcast outlets
• Proven track record connecting with reporters and editors in a variety of ways and successfully pitching them
• A keen eye for news opportunities and a thorough understanding of the media landscape (television, radio, online and print)
• Expertise in tracking media outcomes
• Excellent writing, proofreading and editing ability
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills — ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and manage working relationships diplomatically
• Solid organizational and time management skills —ability to set priorities, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work setting
• Spanish language skills are a plus, but not required
• Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field
• 5+ years of full-time professional experience, with the bulk of that work being media relations, ideally in an agency setting
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter below AND by email to Joy Burks, VP, Media (email@example.com) and specify the job title (Senior Media Specialist) in the subject line of the email. No phone calls, please. EOE.