Director, Strategic Communications
SUBJECT MATTER is seeking a full-time Director to join the Strategic Communications team. This senior communications professional will develop thoughtful strategy and drive execution for a diverse range of firm clients. This is a small and growing team, so while the Director will develop plans and offer strategic advice, they also will engage in day-to-day communications activities, including drafting outreach materials, engaging reporters, staffing events and briefings and other tasks as needed. The ideal candidate is a curious, driven, team-oriented problem-solver.
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm; collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team comprises experienced strategists, writers, media relations pros, designers, advertising experts, filmmakers and lobbyists. The Director will work directly with this diverse roster. The job requires professionalism, polish and a keen sensibility about forging strong, collaborative relationships with clients, colleagues and external stakeholders.
The Director performs the following tasks:
- Leads clients in the development and implementation of strategic communications campaigns.
- Drafts communications plans to support client campaigns, initiatives and strategic objectives.
- Builds relationships with key media and engages in media relations to secure positive placements.
- Serves as external spokesperson for clients, as needed.
- Provides partnership and counsel to internal Subject Matter team
- Serves as integration leader between government relations and communications team members.
- Develops strategic understanding of clients’ businesses, target markets, influencers and competition.
- Translates requests, broad campaign concepts, strategies or plans into meaningful, actionable approaches and activities.
- Ensures the strategic communications team produces measurable results that help to achieve ultimate client goals.
- Shares emerging trends and opportunities for improved communications execution.
The Director position requires the following:
- 8+ years of progressively responsible strategic communications, advocacy campaign, policy communications or issues management experience, with agency experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic communications, public affairs, media relations and familiarity with evolving communications methods.
- Demonstrated understanding of political and influencer landscape inside and outside the Beltway.
- Excellent written, verbal and in-person communications skills.
- Critical thinker with outstanding analytical capabilities.
- Proven ability to execute and juggle multiple end-to-end projects professionally and efficiently.
- Ability to work as a member of an extended team, as well as individually.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (specifically PowerPoint, Word and Excel).
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter below and by e-mail to email@example.com and specify the job title (Director, Strategic Communications) in the subject line of the e-mail.