Director, Digital Strategy
Subject Matter is in search of a Director of Digital Strategy who will be responsible for shaping and executing strategic content advocacy solutions for clients across native, premium and social media content platforms. This person will develop content strategies rooted in Subject Matter’s insights and define creative platforms for always-on programs across categories and industries. This person should be a “big ideas” thinker who will work across research and insights, creative, editorial, production, media planning, talent management and content optimization. This person must also have a knack for client relationship management, including the ability to guide clients through the ever-evolving social media landscape. The ideal candidate will come to us with a strategic mind and an insatiable curiosity to learn about new subjects.
The culture at Subject Matter is fed by creativity, depth, energy and speed, and we’re looking for someone who will thrive in this environment. If you’re comfortable in a position that is laser-focused on one topic day in and day out, this job is not for you. However, if the thought of working on health care on Monday, railroads on Tuesday, and Capitol Hill policy on Wednesday appeals to you, we should talk. Our clients’ subject matter is often meaty, complex and could affectionately be called wonky. We like it that way, and you should too. The challenge is turning these rich topic areas into actionable digital strategy — and that begins with strategic thinking and exceptional storytelling.
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm, and collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team is comprised of experienced writers, advertising experts, media relations pros, website designers, filmmakers and lobbyists. The Director of Digital Strategy will work directly with this diverse roster. The job requires professionalism, polish and a keen sensibility about forging strong, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Provide partnership and counsel to clients and internal Subject Matter team
- Provide insight on emerging trends and social media developments
- Develop strategic, proactive content packages targeted across verticals
- Ensure quality of work and flawless execution maps back to initial strategy
- Identify and utilize cutting-edge tools and techniques to help support business objectives, advance storytelling and drive engagement
- Develop insights based on Subject Matter data tools, knowledge of the client need and knowledge of political trends impacting client topics
- Take broad client RFPs and campaign concepts or strategy and translate them into meaningful, actionable strategic approaches that suit the client
- Collaborate with our creative team to inspire and develop innovative solutions to solving client challenges across channels
- Identify ways to measure success against the campaign goals and achievable outcomes; determine methods to collect and present data and analysis to clients as well as internal stakeholders
- Participate in content production from insights to execution to analytics to ensure it is “on strategy”
Applicants Must Have:
- 7-9 years of experience at an agency focusing on advocacy work or working on the Hill, political campaign or similar work
- Experience placing paid ads on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google and other platforms
- Understanding of the backend of these tools and their analytics is critical
- Experience working with digital analytics tools like Spredfast, Sysomos, Quorum and others
- Experience working with social media management tools like Sprout
- Experience with analyzing and reporting engagement metrics, working across the various reporting tools; utilizing data to drive content strategy
- Proven success in driving creative, integrated digital campaigns from concept to execution and reporting
- Experience in developing multi-platform content strategy rooted in insights
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Understanding and familiarity of politics and government
- Excellent consultative and relationship-building skills working with senior-level communications and business leaders
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and presenting compelling content and/or social media marketing strategy presentations
- Self-starter with a passion for both data and conceptual-driven strategy
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter below or by e-mail to [email protected] and specify the job title (Director, Digital Strategy) in the subject line of the e-mail.
At Subject Matter, we call what we do Creative Advocacy, our tailored blend of strategic communications, creative content & advertising and government relations. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying communications and government relations, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
We’re an independent, 80-person firm headquartered in Washington, D.C. — small enough that our clients work with our founding partners and senior leadership, big enough to produce high-impact campaigns in-house. Our full team comprises experienced lobbyists, writers, advertising creatives, media relations pros, website designers and social media experts. We create and advocate. Learn more about us at www.teamsubjectmatter.com.
Subject Matter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Subject Matter is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Subject Matter are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender identity, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, age or any other status protected by the laws or regulations.