Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm, and collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team is comprised of strategists, experienced writers, advertising experts, media relations pros, website designers, filmmakers, lobbyists and more. We are looking for a senior client counselor, strategist and account director for a group of high-profile clients, many of whom focus on public health. Responsibilities include account planning, strategy development, writing/editing and management and execution of individual project elements. Working with the Chief Strategy Officer and across all divisions within the firm, the Director will partner with client teams, internal teams and agency management to help achieve our clients’ communication goals. The job requires professionalism, polish, intellectual curiosity, strategy development, diplomacy and a keen sensibility about forging strong, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Leads clients in the strategic development and tactical implementation of a wide range of communication programs.
Develops deep, nuanced and strategic understanding of clients’ subject matter, audience targets, core messages and competitive landscape.
- Ensures, in partnership with the Project Management team, that client goals and objectives are clearly communicated internally and that the agency team produces measurable results for the client
- Builds strong internal relationships that produce outstanding work
- Develops presentation materials such as memo, decks and agendas
- Collaborates directly with leadership and staff in the firm’s various functional areas —Creative, Content, Media, Interactive, Digital, Video Production, Government Relations and Operations
- Crafts content for client communication efforts, independently or in partnership with other Subject Matter teams (including, but not limited to, message documents, articles, press materials, presentations and website copy)
- Directs project activities and assigns components, as appropriate and needed, to Managers, Associates, Coordinators, Assistants and interns
- Serves as primary client liaison, maintaining contact and developing positive, productive, collaborative relationships with clients.
- Leads management of research projects with third-party research partners, if needed.
- Trains, guides and mentors junior team members, such as Managers, Associates, Coordinators, Assistants and interns
- Oversees client budgets and, in partnership with a Project Manager, monthly billing
- Partners with the Chief Strategy Officer, division heads and partners on business development opportunities
- Guides the agency team in actively resolving client-related concerns or issues
Applicants Should Have:
- 5+ years of professional experience in communications, public relations, advertising agency, internal communications work, journalism or other related fields requiring communications planning and execution
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic planning, communications, marketing, content creation and media relations
- Strong knowledge of and demonstrated successful experience in public relations, advertising, marketing, corporate communications, journalism and/or research
- Critical thinker and enthusiastic learner with clear strategic development capabilities
- Very strong editorial planning, writing and editing skills
- Ability to execute and juggle multiple end-to-end projects efficiently
- Works well in a collaborative team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (specifically PowerPoint, Word and Excel)
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to Carlos Roig, Chief Strategy Officer at [email protected] and specify the job title (Account Director) in the subject line of the e-mail.
At Subject Matter, we call what we do Creative Advocacy, our tailored blend of strategic communications, creative content & advertising and government relations. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying communications and government relations, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
We’re an independent, 80-person firm headquartered in Washington, D.C. — small enough that our clients work with our founding partners and senior leadership, big enough to produce high-impact campaigns in-house. Our full team comprises experienced lobbyists, writers, advertising creatives, media relations pros, website designers and social media experts. We create and advocate. Learn more about us at www.teamsubjectmatter.com.
Subject Matter is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Subject Matter is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Subject Matter are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender identity, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, age or any other status protected by the laws or regulations.