The culture at Subject Matter is fed by creativity, depth, energy and speed, and we’re looking for a talented designer who will thrive in this environment. If you’re comfortable in a position that is laser-focused on one topic day in and day out, this job is not for you. However, if the thought of working on healthcare on Monday, railroads on Tuesday, and consumer brands on Wednesday appeals to you, we should talk. Our clients’ subject matter is often meaty and complex, but that doesn’t mean our work is boring. We tackle client problems creatively and fuel our work with substance and the art of persuasion.
Subject Matter is a multifaceted Creative Advocacy firm, and teamwork is integral to our success. We are comprised of experienced writers, advertising experts, media relations pros, digital specialists, filmmakers and lobbyists. The senior designer will work directly with this diverse roster — both within our Creative division and among our other core practice areas, including Technology, Digital, Content, Media and Government Relations.
- Development and production of images, illustrations and layouts used in a variety of projects, including agency and client presentations, print collateral, brand identity, infographics, digital assets and animations
- Concept and production of interactive deliverables including sitemaps, user journeys, user experience, wireframes, and visual design
- Concept and/or production of advertising ideas and materials, including print, outdoor, nontraditional, digital, TV and other innovative ideas
- Partner with copywriter(s), art director(s), design director, technology team, digital team, strategists, account service and project management
- Take ownership of assignments and be a team player
- Manage deadlines, deliverables and workflow
- Online portfolio demonstrating skills and experience
- 3-6 years relevant work history, ad agency experience a plus
- Relevant four year degree
- Proven experience in design, UI/UX, typography, animation, style guide creation, video production and marketing messaging
- Experience partnering with copywriter(s), art directors(s), UX designers, Developers and account management
- Successful management of deadlines, deliverables, and workflow
- Advanced knowledge and use of Adobe Creative Suite
- Illustration and photography skills are a bonus
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while keeping a professional demeanor
- Able to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously
- A positive, professional and “can do” attitude
- Flexible, adaptive and eager
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and portfolio website by e-mail to Kevin Fenton, Senior Design Director at [email protected] and specify the job title (Designer) in the subject line of the e-mail.
At Subject Matter, we call what we do Creative Advocacy, our tailored blend of strategic communications, creative content & advertising and government relations. We help our clients shape the message environment, move public opinion and enhance and defend their reputation. By unifying communications and government relations, we spur action — in Washington, on Main Street and everywhere in between.
We’re an independent, 80-person firm headquartered in Washington, D.C. — small enough that our clients work with our founding partners and senior leadership, big enough to produce high-impact campaigns in-house. Our full team comprises experienced lobbyists, writers, advertising creatives, media relations pros, website designers and social media experts. We create and advocate. Learn more about us at www.teamsubjectmatter.com.