Coordinator, Strategic Communications
SUBJECT MATTER is seeking a full-time Coordinator to join the Strategic Communications team. This position is ideal for an individual who is starting their career in public affairs, corporate communications, or issues management and looking to gain experience in an agency setting.
The culture at Subject Matter is fed by creativity, depth, energy and speed, and we’re looking for someone who will thrive in this environment. If you’re comfortable in a position that is laser-focused on one topic day in and day out, this job is not for you. However, if the thought of working on public health on Monday, food innovation on Tuesday, and Capitol Hill policy on Wednesday appeals to you, we should talk. Our clients’ subject matter is often meaty, complex and could affectionately be called wonky. We like it that way, and you should too. The challenge is turning these rich topic areas into strategic communications opportunities.
Subject Matter is a multifaceted creative advocacy firm, and collaboration is integral to our success. Our full team is comprised of experienced writers, advertising experts, media relations pros, website designers, filmmakers and lobbyists. The Coordinator will work directly with this diverse roster. The job requires professionalism, polish and a keen sensibility about forging strong, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Work with team members to research and track issues, influencers and media coverage, identifying trends and opportunities
- Pitch reporters and producers via email and phone
- Draft initial outreach materials, such as pitch emails and one-page issue overviews
- Build and maintain media target lists
- Track media coverage and develop coverage reports for clients and internal use
- Staff events on behalf of clients and engage reporters and influencers with key client messaging
- Develop PowerPoint presentations for use with clients and internally
- Edit and proofread documents for grammar, consistency and formatting
- Create and manage task tickets with other internal teams as needed
- Provide additional support to strategic communications team as needed
Applicants Must Be:
- Extremely detail oriented with a strong attention to follow-through
- Resourceful with a strong ability to problem solve
- Strong writing skills
- Superior research skills
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks & meet deadlines
- Exceptional time-management skills
- Ability to work as a member of an extended team, as well as individually
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Flexible, adaptive and eager
- A positive, professional and “can do” attitude
To be considered for this full-time position, please submit your resume and cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify the job title (Coordinator, Strategic Communications) in the subject line of the e-mail.